Above the farmhouse door is a date stone of 1824. The earliest occupant we can trace back to is Dr Robins in the 1850s. He was the village doctor so Heaton House was the Doctor’s house with a fine range of stables and carriage barns built in the local pink sandstone. Mick, the present owner was born here and can trace his family back 6 generations. For as long as he can remember, it was a dairy farm, milking over 100 cows with a small beef herd, pigs and sheep. Although the dairy herd was sold in 2004 to make way for the barns to be developed into a wedding venue, the 165 acres are still farmed, supporting a small beef breeding herd a flock of sheep and produces cereal crops along with haylage for local horse feed.
Accommodation at Heaton House Farm was started in millennium year when the old grain loft was converted into the first two en-suite bedrooms.
In 2009, major building work started when a range of old cattle sheds and workshops were demolished and replaced with a brand new range of buildings including two new large en-suite luxury bedrooms with fabulous views over three counties.
The sandstone barn in the courtyard has been used as stables, a shippon for cattle housing and milking parlour for the dairy herd. In 2008, The Wincle Beer Company started a micro brewery in the barn but 4 years later moved to a larger barn up the road as demand for their beer meant they had outgrown the facilities.
Planning permission was granted for a change of use, and work started on improving the structure. The building was converted in to the luxury rooms and The Old Stableyard dining room that you see today.